Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Poor Olivia




Olivia has once again learned the difficult lesson of being an active kid. About an hour ago she returned from the Gurney, Illinois Urgent Care with a splint on her foot. She has broken two or three metatarsals on her left foot. We have been visiting the Woller's of Illinois and last evening the cousins decided it was a good idea to jump off of the top of Gabe's bunk bed. Obviously, not a good idea. I rushed upstairs when I heard Olivia screaming bloody murder, to find her holding her foot. She said it hurt badly and that she couldn't walk on it. There was virtually no swelling and after some ice and some Tylenol we put her to bed. This morning she still couldn't walk on it, but was really making it around well without. Kevin got her to take a few steps though and we weren't sure what to do. Because there was a specific area of pain when Eric was checking it out, and she still couldn't/wouldn't walk, he decided to take her in. I didn't go with them, but Kevin did. Awhile later he called to let us know it was broken. We are still kind of in shock. But, once again amazed at her toughness. The only time she cried (aside from the actual accident) was when Eric explained to her that it was broken. She obviously knows what it is like to break something. Eric said even at the clinic he was second guessing taking her in because she was doing so well without walking. Obviously it was a good thing he went with his instincts and took her in though. She is amazing, but I still feel terrible for her.
They didn't put a cast on it. Since she has her own account at the Orthopedic and Fracture Clinic at home she will go in on Friday and have it looked at again. She has a splint just like she did for her arm. She is taking life easy on Kevin and Joy's bed watching a movie. When I asked it what it was like to have a broken foot she said it was, "Kind of bad." The Dr. here said it might be about 6 weeks in a cast, even though she is so little. I think she will think it is even worse when she won't be able to do a lot of summer fun things. Thankfully, that hasn't begun to sink in yet, even though we have to carry her around. Too bad she can't use Eric's crutches.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Poor Olivia! I hope she heals as fast this time as she did last time.