Monday, April 7, 2008

The latest

After her emergency room visit last night, Olivia is doing much better this morning. She is lying here beside me watching Sesame Street and singing "It's Raining it's Pouring the Old Man is Snoring" and "Somewhere over the Rainbow". She is still looking exhausted and beat, but at least she is talking. She is also bossy, so I think she is on the up and up. She has been downing her drinks/pedialyte and nothing has come back yet, so that is a really good sign.
Here is what Eric wrote about their experience last night, "I took her to the Urgent Care at the Mankato Clinic. They decided she needed and IV, but they can't do little kids. So, they wheeled us to the ER. During this time, she is very lethargic and very weak. She looked like she needed to be in an ER.
Of course, we were there for about 4 hours. The doctor looked at her and checked her out. He wasn't worried enough about the dehydration to do an IV. She had some blood tests done. They drew blood (not just a finger prick) but Olivia didn't even get scared or cry at all. She was VERY brave. The tests didn't show anything to worry about. So, they gave her something to settle her tummy. After waiting about 20 minutes I gave her a small drink of pedialyte. This stayed down and over the next 30 minutes I gave her a more. She kept it down. The drinks made a big difference. She perked up quickly. She is still very tired, weak and sick, but hopefully she turned the corner."
She is such a trooper. While they were gone Claire ended up throwing up, and I was really worried she was coming down with it too, but this morning she hasn't gotten sick again, so hopefully it was a false alarm. She is napping now. It is so hard to see your kids get so sick. Thankfully I don't think they will remember the bad parts, but will more than likely remember the fact that I let them watch more TV in the past three days than ever.

2 comments:

Dr. Kev said...

Good job Olivia - keep drinking your Pedialyte!! Every drink you take is helping to support your poor Unlce Kevin's retirement!

Might I also suggest our fine line of ZonePerfect nutritional bars or our EAS myoplex protein bars and shakes?

Photo Mommy said...

Nice pitch Kevin. Maybe you could go into marketing it instead of making it. Too bad you couldn't hook us up for a discount, or free samples. The funny thing is that one of her commands this morning is that she didn't want the yucky kind (unflavored). I guess that flavor doesn't meet her expectations. Maybe you could work on that instead. She decided that Claire could have the unflavored stuff, because she wouldn't care. Olivia is a big fan of the bubblegum and cherry flavors though.