Sunday, September 28, 2008

The addiction

About two months ago I realized that Mr. Rogers was on at 1 p.m. Rylee had never watched it, but since she stayed up while the rest of us girls took naps I thought it would be something she could do for the first half an hour of naps. After the first episode she was addicted. Each day she asked if it was time for Mr. Rogers. She could barely wait until nap time. All morning I would hear, "Is it time for Mr. Rogers yet?" The anxiousness also helped stop any lunchtime procrastination. In fact she was so addicted she told me that her birthday party would have to be on Saturday or Sunday because she didn't want to miss her show.  
Well, come Sept. 1 both of our PBS stations decided that it wasn't a show they were going to run anymore. Rylee was quite devastated, until she discovered two things, the PBS Kids Website and Netflix. She now gets to spend the half an hour on 'her computer' during naps (now she is addicted to that) and her dad has started getting episodes via Netflix every now and then. So, her addiction can still be appeased. Like Eric says, "I could think of things much worse to be addicted to." Pus, one of the episodes that they watched a couple of weeks ago had Peter Ostrousko on it, and he performed at BLC last week. She thought that was pretty cool. Tonight they got to watch one and a bonus on the CD was a tour of a pretzel factory. The best part about that was the owner was telling Mr. Rogers about the history of the pretzel, which was that children were originally given them for memorizing their Bible passages. When Mr. Rogers asked why they have three holes he said they represent the Holy Trinity. This is probably why it is a bonus track on the CD and not a whole show, but I thought it was pretty cool. 

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I can relate. When I was Rylee's age I remember arguing with Neil after he came home from school because I always wanted to watch Mr Rogers but he wanted to watch anything else.

Photo Mommy said...

Hmm, I wonder if his kids have ever seen Mr. Rogers?

I hope you won your argument a few times at least.

Amanda said...

I remember that Shawn and I used to say that we didn't like Mr. Rogers and we would make fun of it and such, yet we would still watch it everyday.... and Shawn is going to say that he doesn't remember any of that... story of my life.

Heidi said...

Don't worry Amanda. I remember that!